I've been wanting to post about this for awhile now. Sarah inspired me today via Twitter. She posted this:
I call Emily Post's Etiquette by Peggy Post, the blue book. It is wrapped in a beautiful blue cover with a simple design on the front. I love this book and refer to it often. I have the 16th Edition, but now there is a 17th Edition .
I have also been known to give it as a gift. It makes an awesome bridal shower gift. Seriously. It's the right price point and will be used throughout a marriage.
Here are some of the topics covered in it:
- Correspondence-the appearance of personal letters (how to address them, when to send them, who to send them to).
- Job Interviews-questions and interviewer might ask you, your attire, meeting and greeting.
- Everyday Manners-going through doors, umbrellas, and chewing gum.
- The New Baby-baby showers, thank-yous, gifts, and religious ceremonies.
- Gifts for Special Occasions-anniversaries, business gifts, clients, and teachers.
So what did I bring to that engagement party? A card.
I've had some other issues with greedy friends and family, hence the gift idea. I always give Emily Post when I have no clue what to give the person, and/or the person
Seriously, a great reference! You need it!